The Kentucky Sheep and Goat Council meet on a quarterly basis. Meetings are scheduled for the first Tuesday of January, April, July and October. All loan and special project requests are reviewed at these times.
Check-Off Remittance Form- While check-off is automatically collected when sheep and goats are sold through Kentucky livestock markets, producers who sell sheep and goats directly off the farm are encouraged to remit check-off on these sales as well.
Current Check-Off Programs:
New Farmer Recruitment Loan- The 2016 New Farmer Recruitment Program is a competitive loan program offered by the Kentucky Sheep and Goat Council and is designed to help grow Kentucky’s sheep and goat industries. The loans are short term (1 to 2 year) loans of up to $2,000 with 0% interest. Up to six loans (three goat and three sheep) of $2,000 each will be awarded in 2016 to eligible individuals. Eligible individuals are Kentucky residents at least 18 years of age that have never produced sheep or goats or have been in the sheep or goat production business for less than 5 years. Funds may be used to purchase sheep and/or goats for breeding purposes as well as livestock guardian animals. The loan program is only open to individuals that have completed the Small Ruminant Profit School educational program. Loans applications are due June 15, 2017 and will be reviewed in July 2017.
Special Projects Proposal- Provides funding for sheep and goat related special projects that either work to increase the supply of sheep and goats in Kentucky or increase the demand for Kentucky raised sheep and goats and their products.
The Kentucky Sheep and Goat Check-Off Program began in 2010 and collects $.50 for every $100 worth of sheep and goats sold in the Commonwealth. According to Kentucky law, Check-Off funds must be used for the purpose of promoting the increased use and sale of sheep and goats.
Check-Off Funds are overseen by the Kentucky Sheep and Goat Council, which is a seven member board consisting of the following; 2 members appointed by Kentucky Farm Bureau, 2 members appointed by the Kentucky Goat Producers Association, 2 members appointed by the Kentucky Sheep and Wool Producers Association, and 1 member appointed by the Commissioner of Agriculture. Current Kentucky Sheep and Goat Check-off Board members are as follows:
Carol Amyx – Kentucky Farm Bureau
Gil Myers – Kentucky Farm Bureau
Sonia McElroy– KGPA
Denise Martin – KGPA
Bill Decker – KSWPA
Jim Mansfield- KSWPA
Your Dollars at Work!!!
Accomplishments to date:
1) Assisted several producers in starting meat goat enterprises through the New Farmer Recruitment Program
2) Supports efforts to sample and promote the eating of goat and lamb at various festivals and events through the Try Something Different Tonight Campaign
3) Supports efforts to educate the public about sheep and goat production at the Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival
4) Sponsors the printing of the Kentucky Sheep and Goat Management Calendar
5) Works to promote sheep and goat production at various industry meetings and events
6) Continues to compile a Kentucky Sheep and Goat Breeders Directory on the Kentucky Sheep and Goat Development Office website
7) Works to establish programs to promote lamb and goat to Kentucky chefs
8) Sponsors the Tim Farmer's Country Kitchen Cooking Show that highlights the production and consumption of Kentucky lamb and goat